Tips for Parents: Teenage Drivers | PDF
Español/Spanish: Consejos para padres - Los adolescentes conductores
Most parents dread giving their teenage driver the car keys for the first time. Take some of the fear out of giving teens the keys by being sure they are well prepared to make safe driving decisions--before they start driving.
Here are some tips to help your teen prepare:
- Enroll him/her in a Driver’s Education Course.
- Log plenty of practice hours in the car with your teen.
- Be sure teens score well on their DMV tests before they drive on their own.
- Talk about the increased freedom they’ll have and the temptations they’ll likely face.
- Work together to develop a safe-driving contract with clear rules and consequences for breaking the rules.
For more information:
National Safety Council’s teen driving website:
Reports and videos related to teen driving from the I Promise Program
You may also find these Tips for Parents helpful:
Tips for Parents: Responsibility
Help The Learning Community grow--share Tips for Parents: Teenage Drivers with a friend!